10 KOLLU/HORSE GRAM PODI(POWDER)


In Tamil, this is referred as KOLLU . Normally used to feed horses. But Cuisines are also common. Kollu porial, Kollu avial, kollu sambar, kollu rasam, kollu dhal. Like any traditional ayurvedic cuisine that is referred as "Food is Medicine & Medicine is food", this is also one such food grain.

Horse gram - 2 cups
Red chillies -4 or 5
Curry leaves - a handful
Hing - a pinch
Salt as needed

Variation:
1. You can use urad dhal - 1 cup and horse gram - 1 cup ...dry roast both seperately and powder together with other ingredients.
2. You can dry roast 1/2 cup of sesame seeds and powder together.

This is one of my mom's recipe/invention...she likes chutney podi a lot so made a lot of use with horsegram/ kollu.

Heat kadai and dry roast horse gram/kollu in medium flame like around 5 minutes ...in the same kadai add 1/2 tbsp of oil and fry red chillies and curry leaves for one minute...add hing and mix once...remove and cool...take both together with salt in a dry mixer or coffee grinder and powder fine...just when you want to have mix with gingelly oil for better taste and use as a dip for idli/dosas.


10 comments/Reactions:

Anand said...

Thanks for the kollu podi recipe padma!!! Last time I bought more kollu and I did not know how to use it... Surely I will try to make this podi.

Padma said...

Sure Geetha ...try adding some dhal also along with kollu :D

nisha said...

I really enjoyed reading the podi recipes on your blog.

Anonymous said...

Cool website, I had not noticed padmasrecipes.blogspot.com before in my searches!
Carry on the fantastic work!

Anonymous said...

Wow neat! This is a really great site! I am wondering if anyone else has come across something
similar in the past? Keep up the great work!

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at www.blogger.com.

May I use some of the information from this post right above if I give a backlink back to your site?

Thanks,
John

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

I have a inquiry for the webmaster/admin here at www.blogger.com.

Can I use some of the information from this blog post right above if I provide a backlink back to this website?

Thanks,
Mark

Padma said...

@ Mark. Yes you can use some information from this blog as long as they are linked back.

Thanks
Padma

Anonymous said...

Hello there,

This is a question for the webmaster/admin here at padmasrecipes.blogspot.com.

May I use part of the information from your post above if I give a link back to your site?

Thanks,
James

Padma said...

@ James - Yes you can use the information as long as they are linked back appropriately.
Thanks
Padma

Post a Comment

Please leave your valuable comments/feedback. If having problems posting them, then you can also contact me at padmasrecipes@gmail.com .

Thanks
Padma